Durian Cake Using Airfryer

July 05, 2015 7 Comments A+ a-


It is the durian season again in Singapore, and I knew that I just had to make a durian cake. Using fresh durian flesh, the outcome was a super fluffy and yummy durian cake. The lovely durian aroma filled the kitchen while this was baking, and we couldn't help but take extra servings after that - even though it was way past midnight.


Durians - you either hate it or love it. But since you are on this page, I am sure you love it. Here's my durian cake recipe adapted for the airfryer. Enjoy! 


Recipe
Yield: One 6" square cake

Ingredients
120g butter
100g castor sugar
75gm fresh durian flesh

2 eggs
1/3 teaspoon vanilla extract
70g self raising flour

45g cake/ top flour

*For the durian flesh, get the ripe ones and sweet species. Use the best durian that you can find!



Directions
1) Preheat airfryer at 150 degrees for 10 min.

2) Beat butter and sugar together, till they become light and pale.

3) Using the back of a spoon, mash the durian up. Add to the butter and sugar mixture.
 

4) Add in the eggs, 1 at a time.

5) Add in the vanilla extract.

6) Add in the sifted flour and fold. Do not overmix, only mix until just combined.
 

7) Pour the batter into a greased baking pan. (I use baking paper for convenience.)
8) Cover with aluminium foil and poke some holes. Using this aluminium cover ensures that the cake does not become overly dry.

9) Bake in the airfryer at 150 degrees for 25 min.

10) Remove the aluminium foil, and continue baking at 150 degrees for 8-10min.

11) Insert a toothpick to check if it is ready. If the toothpick comes out clean, it is ready to be served. Enjoy!


Update (06 Jul 2015)
Sally Teo from Singapore tried out this recipe and the cake turned out very well. In her own words, it was "very nice, texture just nice. I tried because I bought some durian which were not very nice. So, I used it to make cake and surprisingly it was very good".  Great job! I am glad that the durians proved themselves to be useful too.

Btw, I love the nice shape of the baking pan too. It made the cake look spikey like a durian :)
Credits: Sally Teo
 
Update (07 Jul 2015)
The recipe was really easy and Sally baked another 2 more durian cakes today. Looks so yummy that I can almost smell the durian from her kitchen. 2 consecutive days of durian cakes! I love how perfectly brown the crust is too :)

Credits: Sally Teo

Update (17 Jul 2015)
Here are durian cupcakes by Joni Lian, made from Mao Shan Wang! Don't the fruit toppings make these cupcakes look really yummy? 
*Note: The Hedgehog's Durian Cake recipe makes 8 cupcakes.

Update (02 Aug 2015)
This durian cake was baked by Linda Lim. Her husband loved them so much! Great temperature control here too :)


For more cake recipes using airfryer, click here.



If you have tried this recipe too, share your photos with us!
Instagram: @TheHedgehogKnows


7 comments

Write comments
E
AUTHOR
5 August 2015 at 01:08 delete

I followed your recipe but the cake is uncooked in the middle. The sides were done nicely though. I I already baked another additional 10 mins so total 45 mins. Not sure what happened. I used the airfryer square baking tray - is this the problem (too small)?

Reply
avatar
6 August 2015 at 07:01 delete

Hi E, hmmm in the end was the whole cake cooked by 45min? The problem shouldn't be with the tray. So how was the cake's texture in the end - fluffy or like kueh? U can either email me your photos at thehedgehogknows.sg@gmail.com. or PM me via www.facebook.com/TheHedgehogKnows, I am happy to help :)

Reply
avatar
25 August 2015 at 00:52 delete

Hi Janet,
I have read your article post. This is great post.I like this post. Many many thanks for this post.Really this post is so helpful for us. This foods are good for health. I did not know this Durian Cake cooking method. I love the food at all difficult to handle temptation. Thank's for tips, Thank's for sharing.
happycookerz

Reply
avatar
25 August 2015 at 23:26 delete

Hi Nguyet Thu, thanks! Happy to know that the Durian Cake post was useful for you. Did you try it out too? Anyway, feel free to follow us for more recipes on our FB: www.facebook.com/TheHedgehogKnows :)

Reply
avatar
25 August 2015 at 23:27 delete

Btw is http://happycookerz.com your webpage? So cool!

Reply
avatar
28 August 2015 at 03:18 delete This comment has been removed by the author.
avatar
Unknown
AUTHOR
9 December 2015 at 09:48 delete

I just tried this yummy recipe from your blog and it has come out really yummy!! :)
This is my first dish and I am quite happy with the outcome...
Thanks for sharing this easy recipe :)
Geneva Williams

Reply
avatar